Thursday, November 4, 2010

Just one more book!

We have plans to build a library wall with a rolling ladder to accomodate the books we've collected over the years.While I admit the majority are cookbooks, I have tomes of all kinds. Many were inherited, precious volumes of ancient cookbooks from Mom and Mother in law. I cherish these, they have terms like, a pinch, a peck, a scant spoonful. My mom's have bits marginalia, secrets passed down, omit this, add that in her beautifully scrolled secretary handwriting.

My love of books came from my father who recently passed away. We spent many hours together reading and I grew to love it and was never without a book. My father loved mysteries and read 5 or 6 books a week. He read right up to his last few days of life. He had the presence of mind  to chose  'What's So Amazing About Grace' by Phillip Yancy as his last book rather than a mystery although I don't think he probably finished it.

My daughter has a kindle and she loves it but still has a foot locker and several boxes full of books downstairs that she can't live without. They make up such a big part of our lives, like old friends. They're spines crack, they have a certain scent, they're reliable and always give you what you need when you need it, without question. One should never be without a book.

Recently I've  taken to checking cookbooks out of the library and trying out a few recipes before I buy them. I end up leaving with 10 or 12 cookbooks and a few cd books for listening to while I work. Mostly I renew everything until I can't anymore and then there's the inevitable trip to the bookstore.

Here are my new favorites:

Cookbooks

Blue Ribbon Cookbook by Bruce Bromberg and Eric Bromberg
        I made the lamb chops pictured here using their recipe and it was fantastic. Recipes are easy to understand and everything tastes great.

Sustainably Delicious by Michel Nischan
        His macaroni and cheese recipe is amazing, definately not lowfat fare but do you want your macaroni and cheese to be delicious or healthy? Walk an extra mile and go for it you won't regret it. 

Books on CD

Final Witnes by Simon Tolkien
The Inheritance by Simon Tolkien
        These are mysteries set in England. He narrates his own works and has a lovely voice that one can just relax into as one is taken on a journey of twists and turns of intrigue and murder. His grandfather is JRR Tolkien.

Books I Love

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquirel
         This is one of the most romantic books ever written and it's impossible to put down, There are recipes too.

The Bread of Angels by Stephanie Saldana
          I'm reading this now. It's a beautifully written autobiography about a young woman who moves to Syria on a fellowship to learn Arabic so she can study the Quran and Jesus in Islam. It's a story about life, faith and love.

Henry IV by Shakespeare
          My daughter gave it to me in play form and it's a great way to read it. After you read it watch the movie. My favorite version features Kenneth Branagh.

I like the witten word and I have to thank my parents, Dad who introduced me to books and Mom who sat by my bed each night when I was little and read to me. Heidi was a favorite. My father in law too who will read anything, even the back of a soup can if it's the only thing available.

Happy reading! ( and listening) All the best, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment