Tuesday, November 2, 2010

'the appetizer'






I pace in front of the tv, clicker in hand, skimming the channels for Star Trek. Blindly I reach for the trick or treat bowl. How many reeses peanut butter cups have I downed? Glancing at the floor I see it's littered with wrappers, orange and black, a gold and red one peeks out...ah my beloved Twix. If the Earth were made of Twix I'd be halfway to China by now. My mom was right I do need to have my head examined.

Not by Drs. Phil or Oz, too Hollywood. Not Crusher from TNG, her hair is too perfectly coiffured and she pronounces croissant like Charlie Brown's teacher (cwa wa) it makes me crazy.

I need Dr. Leonard McCoy, Bones from Classic Star Trek to cure what ails me. Bones with his quityourbellyaching bed side manner who so often cocks his eyebrow and will assess a situation and then comment in a honey covered cornbread drawl.

'Damn it man, put down the trick or treat bowl and eat an appetizer for pity's sake!'

Sound medical advice and I can think of nothing better than a little pseudo antipasti, (there's no meat) a glass of wine and a cuddle on the couch while Kirk, Spock and Bones venture into the final frontier.

This appetizer doesn't have a name and we've lovingly come to refer to it as 'the appetizer' because we've made it so often.

The Appetizer

Mini French Bread Loaf
Oil Cured Olives- remove seed and dice large
Goat Cheese ( I like Chevre for this)
Grape Tomatoes

Place the Goat Cheese in a Ramekin and let it sit on top of the stove so it warms up a little while you're preparing the tomatoes and french bread.

Roasted Tomatoes

Heat oven or toaster over to 400*

Line a baking sheet with foil
Wash and cut grape tomatoes in half lengthwise
Spritz with Olive oil
Sprinkle with Kosher Salt and Pepper
Bake until tomatoes collapse

French Bread
Same 400* oven
Slice bread thinly and brush each piece with olive oil on both sides
Bake until crispy



Place the components in ramekins with the bread placed decoratively around.

To assemble spread a little of the goat cheese on a piece of bread

Top with tomatoes and olives. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment