Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Haricots Vert, I just like saying it!



I'm a green bean lover and Haricots Vert, the thinner French green bean is the quintessential green bean in my book and it's fun to say. If Gordon Ramsay were here to pronounce Haricots Vert for me in his hunky English accent I'd be happy to step out of my dreamy trekkie reverie into any nightmarish kitchen he could dream up, for a little while anyway.  


They're easy to prepare. After washing and snipping off the ends, I blanch them for for about 4 minutes, give or take, and plunge them in cold water. The ice cold water deepens the emerald green color of the beans and keeps them crisp. Caramelize a thinly sliced shallot in a little butter and then add the beans and toss them to coat. Sprinkle a few red pepper flakes on the beans for a little heat. I ate my lovely leftover beans for breakfast with a hard boiled egg and it was so tasty. 


Everyone has their own way to boil an egg but this is how I do it. Place the eggs in a pan and cover with water. Bring the water to boil, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 16 minutes. Flush with cold water until the eggs are cold.

I could eat Haricots Vert everyday but that's the way I am sometimes. I find something that gives me a sense of joie de vivre and I stick with it for a little while playing around with different recipes, seeing where it takes me. I bought a ridiculous quantity of beautiful Haricots Vert at Costco today. I've come to equate certain times of year with fruits or vegetables that are readily available then and only then and so look forward like a child waiting for Santa with favorite recipes in hand to those bountiful weeks.
 

All the best,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment